Science of Sci-Fi: Galactic Navigation: A Tourist's Guide to Traveling the Milky Way
Once we have ‘boldly gone where no man has gone before’ we must ask, where are we? In order to travel the galaxy, we will need to know where we are going. How do you develop a map of the galaxy? How do you know where you are so you can get back to Earth? Humans have been asking for thousands of years. I will discuss the history of navigation and mapping, how we will navigate in the future, and finally how realistic the fictional technologies invented for SciFi tv shows and moves are for space travel.
Angela Collier completed her PhD at the University of Kentucky. She recently moved from the Appalachian mountains and into the Rockies to start a postdoc at JILA/CU Boulder. She works on all things dynamics, from asteroid belts to star clusters to galaxies. In her spare time she enjoys going to the gym and watching the Great British Bake Off.
Learn About Fiske Memberships
Fiske Planetarium provides immersive, educational experiences to engage, inspire, and build community. As a member and SPACE BUFF, you'll be immersed in our fulldome films, star shows, live talks, theatrical performances, music concerts, and laser/liquid sky shows throughout the year.
SPACE BUFF's enjoy an astronomical number of benefits for a full year including:
- 50% Discount on ticket(s) for regular shows
- 25% Discount on ticket(s) for special events
- 10% Discount on gift store items
- 10% Discount on rental fees
- 10% Discount on annual membership renewal
- FREE admission to member-only events
- FREE guest passes to share with friends and family
- Monthly member e-newsletter
- Priority notice for special events