Live Faculty Talk: Collisions, Explosions, & Bangs, Oh My! - A Full-Spectrum Cosmic Journey
Join Dr. John Bally to explore the violent birth and death of stars using images from our most advanced multi-wavelength telescopes in space and in the Atacama Desert. We will zoom into the constellation of Orion, the nearest site of on-going star and planet formation where massive stars are being born. Recent observations show that signals from a cataclysmic explosion behind the Orion Nebula reached Earth about 550 years ago. This event, which occurred during the height of the Roman empire around AD 175, released more energy than the Sun generates in ten million years. The study of this, and other explosions, is providing clues about the roles of massive stars in the formation of planets and the evolution of matter over cosmic time.
Learn About Fiske Memberships
Fiske Planetarium provides immersive, educational experiences to engage, inspire, and build community. As a member and SPACE BUFF, you'll be immersed in our fulldome films, star shows, live talks, theatrical performances, music concerts, and laser/liquid sky shows throughout the year.
SPACE BUFF's enjoy an astronomical number of benefits for a full year including:
- 50% Discount on ticket(s) for regular shows
- 25% Discount on ticket(s) for special events
- 10% Discount on gift store items
- 10% Discount on rental fees
- 10% Discount on annual membership renewal
- FREE admission to member-only events
- FREE guest passes to share with friends and family
- Monthly member e-newsletter
- Priority notice for special events